The MITACS programme enables UNIL PhD students to complete a research stay of 3 to 6 months at the University of Montreal (UofM). All fields of research are eligible. A stay in an institution affiliated to the University of Montreal (e.g. HEC Montreal, Polytechnic School of Montreal) is not possible.
For such a research stay, a scholarship of 6,000 Canadian dollars is available, regardless of the length of the stay. Half of this sum comes from MITACS, a Canadian not-for-profit organisation, which has signed an agreement with the University of Montreal, and the other half from UNIL. In total, 5 scholarships are awarded to UNIL PhD students.
The following schedule applies to a stay commencing in February/March 2021 at the earliest.
- Call for applications: 2 July 2020
- Deadline for submitting the application forms: 15 September 2020
- Decision by MITACS: November 2020.
It takes approximately 16 weeks from the time the complete file is submitted and the start of the stay at the University of Montreal. An application file can be sent to us before the September 15 deadline, which would allow the stay to begin before February/March 2021.
Please take note of the important information below and complete the application form. The forms in the "application package" must be sent electronically, completed and signed to Mr Matthias Buess.
- Please read carefully the preliminary information in the program guide (form 0 of the application form)
- In the forms to be filled out, you must describe your project during your research stay at the University of Montreal. Do not describe your thesis in general. It must be consistent with the calendar
- The stay must be entirely devoted to research – this must be reflected in the forms
- This is a full-time research stay. Therefore, do not mention courses and seminars that will be taken during the stay at UofM
- After the approval by MITACS, you have one year to start the research stay
- The different forms can be completed either in French or in English (see the respective version of this website)
- A person already in Canada cannot apply for a MITACS scholarship unless he or she returns to his or her country and then departs again for the research stay at the University of Montreal.