UNIL-EPFL database

| The different types of housing


Jan Antonin Kolar © Unsplash

The University of Lausanne and the Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) run a joint accommodation database reserved exclusively for their students. Advertisements are published by individuals who want to let their accommodation or are looking for another tenant to share with. You can access the database by logging in with your UNIL credentials (user name and password). Just contact the person directly if you are interested in a vacancy.




If you are pre-enrolled at UNIL and have not yet received your IT access credentials - or if it is not yet active -, you can e-mail logement@unil.ch to receive a list of housing extracted from the UNIL accommodation database.


Please note that advertisements are checked by the accommodation services at UNIL and EPFL, particularly with regard to pricing, however we do not generally visit the accommodation on offer. Nonetheless, we try to identify fake offers, which are designed to make you hand over money for housing that does not exist. Despite our best efforts, we cannot, unfortunately, ignore the possibility that a fake advertisement may slip through, given how cleverly they are written. Here are some tips to help you avoid any problems:

  • Find out as much as you can about accommodation that seems too cheap compared with what else is available.
  • As far as possible, always visit the accommodation before you take out a tenancy and pay any rent in advance or a security deposit.
  • Never transfer money through funds transfer organisations such as Western Union or Moneygram.
  • If you are asked for a rent guarantee or initial rent payment, make the payment to an account with a Swiss bank.


The different types of housing


The majority of apartments are managed by estate agents. Therefore, to get an apartment you will have to contact directly the agencies in the region. Generally, the lease is for a minimum period of 1 year.

The shortage of housing in the region is prompting estate agents to give priority to families for the largest flats!

Also, pay attention to the fact that you will be asked for financial guarantees as well as a deposit of up to three months rent.
Please note that for people comming from abroad, the estate agents may require a guarantor who resides in Switzerland.


Same as for the apartments, however there are more independent owners, which make it a little bit easier. The rent is usually for a minimum of 1 year.

Dependent rooms

This is a room, generally furnished, in a private house. The landlord may require a 1 or 2 month financial guarantee.

Independent rooms

This is a room, generally furnished, with its own entrance. The landlord may require a 1 or 2 month financial guarantee.

Shared apartments

This is a joint tenancy, i.e. a room in an apartment with other students. The landlord may require a 1 or 2 month financial guarantee.


Follow us: