Research funding


Support at FGSE

For administrative and budgetary questions, for the opening of funds and for request of residence permits, contact your institute secretariat.

For support in fundraising (identification of funds, proofreading of requests): Amélie Dreiss (research consultant).

For questions about the FGSE Investment Fund (FINV) and the latest guidelines: Rémy Freymond (adjoint de faculté).

Support at UNIL Direction

Establish a budget and a collaboration

Estimate the salary costs of your projects: refer to the HR scales. For more information, please contact your institute secretariat.

Calculate the overhead and VAT of an external funding (or ask for an exemption): contact Dominique Thierrin (Financial Service).

For Public Procurement: (Research office).

Do you have partnerships, a consortium, or collaborations? The agreements should be sent for review to PACTT (if private partners) or to the Legal Department (if public partners).

Finding a research funding

Call for projects

  • Next calls are published on GeOreka

FGSE Investment Fund (FINV)

With the FINV, the Deanship supports projects that constitute, in research or research infrastructure, investments for the Faculty. This fund also serves to amortize previous investments by encouraging their replacement when necessary. The fund offers 7 distinct reasons for financing, which can be summarized in 4 categories :

  • Projects and infrastructure with 50% matching funds (e.g. SNSF), projects and infrastructure (> CHF 50'000) without matchings (e.g. education)
  • Seed funding of projects (outside SNSF standards) up to CHF 20'000
  • Support for a Faculty workshop
  • Support for projects related to Faculty Centres or international agreements

One or two campaigns are launched each year and the Research Commission notifies the requests for the Décanat.

 Example of guideline (regularly updated, only the document sent to each campaign is valid)


For Junior researchers: see also section below.


Research data: analysis and management


Support for scientific computing is available, on a wide range of subjects.
Presence in Geopolis of Flavio Calvo / Margot Sirdey: Monday 9:00-12:00, office 4631

A data stewardship service provides support and counselling on issues related to the planning, dissemination, opening and preservation of research data (DMP, storage, sharing and archiving).
For any request, please write to:
Presence in Geopolis of Zhargalma Dandarova: Tuesday 1:30-5:00 pm, office 4631

For questions related to the DCSR (storage and computing) service of the Centre informatique, please write to with "DCSR" in the email title.

Support for scientific computing

Some examples of proposed support:

  • Automatisation of data post-processing pipelines
  • Refactoring of code in view of public sharing and/or social development
  • Adaptation of code to the high-performance computing infrastructure
  • Advice on implementation of numerical schemes/algorithmic
  • Support for DCSR infrastructure (running on the cluster, virtual machines, data storage)
Realising a Data Management Plan (DMP), useful information and guides
Storing data during a research project – short term

This point concerns the section 3.1 of SNF DMP.

The research data storing facility from the Scientific Computing and Research Support Unit of the Centre informatique (DCSR-Ci) offers a NAS to store research data. The responsible research project leaders (PI) from UNIL can request a storage space.

The DCSR-Ci also offers a high-performance computing service (HPC). UNIL members can request a computing capacity.

The SWITCHdrive is a Cloud that allows storing, synchronising and sharing files. It is a good alternative solution to Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive: SWITCH data are stored in Switzerland and respect the federal law on data protection (LPD) and UNIL directives.

Archiving data at the end of a project – long term

To find a specialist or generalist data repository, the FNS suggests the use of registry.

Commonly used repositories :

  • FORS : Swiss repository in social sciences, based at UNIL
  • SwissUbase : new research data archive at UNIL
  • ZENODO : CERN generic repository, free up to a certain volume, accepted by the FNS
  • Dryad : Generic repository, free up to a certain volume, accepted by the FNS


Publications and Open Access


For technical question or general problem on Serval, contact

For questions related to Serval or Open Access, contact the FGSE staff :

For a support on fund-raising for publication, general questions on OA and author right, a training request: Amélie Dreiss (research consultant).

For a question concerning literature search, contact the staff of the libraries.

Publishing in Open Access (OA)

Any person within the UNIL community who is the author of a scientific publication must:

  • Deposit on Serval UNIL institutional repository the PDF of his/her articles (journal, etc.) and book sections (chapters, etc.).
    Please note: the PDF cannot be modified or deleted once the record has been published.
  • Create a notice with links to the authors and units (see UNIL Open Access Directive). This in no way restricts your choice of publication in terms of format, timing or publisher.

To learn about Open Acces at UNIL, follow the guide!

To quickly update your publications on Serval, consult the written and video Tutorials.

In particular, you can:

  • Export your publications from WoS (Web of Science) in Endnote format, then import them in Serval.
  • Create a link between your ORCID number and Serval in your Unisciences webpage (Video Tutorial UNIL).

The UNIL online tool Papago offers personalized advice on your funding opportunities, rights and obligations regarding OA publishing.

Finding a funding source for publications


UNIL Researchers can request funding for book OA publication through the UNIL Publication fund.

Researcher can request SNSF funds for the publication of books or book chapters.

Other publications

For journal articles, UNIL offers 360° support to cover the different OA roads: from Hybrid, to Platinum, to Gold.

SNSF grantees can obtain funding of their articles in Gold OA scientific journals (see SNSF rules).


Best practices: ethics, EDI, integrity, security, drones


For questions related to ethics in research (advice, training, certification) contact Amélie Dreiss (research consultant).

Contact EDI (Equality, diversity and inclusion): Natalie Emch

In case of questions or doubts related to scientific integrity, you can contact in complete confidentiality:

For questions about travel abroad or security in the field, contact Rémy Freymond.

For questions related to insurance:

If you have any questions about well-being and safety at work, you can find the contacts on the Comité d'hygiène et sécurité page. At UNIL, independent persons of trust offer free and confidential listening and advice in case of a difficult situation (conflicts, discrimination, harassment).

For the use of drones by yourself or members of your team, contact:


Information on ethics certification procedure is on the dedicated FGSE page.

This  guide for researchers in human and social sciences will help you decide why to apply (or not) for ethics certification.

Equality, diversity and inclusion – EDI

Information and events are on the dedicated FGSE page.

Scientific integrity

The bodies for scientific integrity at the FGSE, their mission, and the procedure to follow in case of a breach of integrity are on on the dedicated FGSE page.

Security and wellbeing, field work, international travel

You will find all the information on safety and field work, foreign travel on the dedicated FGSE page.

Information on well-being and safety at work is on the page of the Comité d'hygiène et sécurité (CHS). The CHS is also an internal contact point in case of difficulty, conflict, harassment, etc.

The webpage Help UNIL identifies where to find help in case of difficult situations (conflicts, discrimination, harassment), internal procedures and internal resources, as well as training offers.

  • IDYST has contacts for its members on its intranet.
  • ISTE has a harassment cell.
Drone use

A specific FGSE internal regulation reminds the legislation and the good practices.

Whether you are an occasional or regular user, follow the swiss legislation, which is evolving.


Communication and research valorisation


For question or support request concerning a research project you wish to promote, please contact or make an appointment with Laure-Anne Pessina (communication officer).

For media training: Rémy Freymond.

For a support to Unisciences, personal or team web pages: Floriane Beetschen.

For the personal pages of the IGD members: Martin Vesely.

For a question about the Webmapping (mapping of the FGSE expertise): Rémy Freymond.

Valorisation: how to proceed

Consult our 10 recommendations for good communication.

The Research dicastère can help you develop and, if necessary, format your material for an actu, an article on the Géoblog, an interview, a press release, or a social network broadcast (e.g. tweet). It supports your communication projects towards the media and coordinates them with Unicom (Communication and audiovisual service.).

Find our press releases and our press review.

Valorisation: tools

The forms below (media article & press release) help you structure the research you want to promote. By providing a text in French or English in the recommended format, you will help the GSE communication team develop a quick strategy to communicate your research.

Valorisation : how to proceed


Career, junior researchers and training


For personalized support on career development or advice on career applications: Amélie Dreiss, research consultant.

Find a career fellowship or a position

The SNSF and the EU offer instruments at different stages of the academic career ( Eligibility to main grants).

Procedures for applying to FGSE as host institute.

See the above section Research funding for generic information.

Other offers

Training programs


  • Graduate Campus: training and support for doctoral candidates and postdocs, to develop their career, spice up their research and network in the university community.
  • CUSO: Workshop Program for the development of transversal competences in doctoral candidates.
  • Service d'orientation et carrière: UNIL support for the transition to employment.

Women scientists

For all


Dicastère recherche

General contacts

Vice-Dean for Research
Prof. Marie-Elodie Perga

Faculty Assistant for Research
Rémy Freymond

Research Consultant
Research Funding, Open Science, Open Access, Research ethics
Amélie Dreiss

Doctoral Students' Secretariat
Johanna Fournier

Autres contacts
Administration du Décanat/Affaires extérieures


Suivez nous: